The task of renewing the turbine building at the Eglisau-Glattfelden power plant constituted yet another formidable challenge, even for WALO, and this on one of Europe’s most important rivers – the Rhine. Part of this project involved the complex process of reconstructing the existing mandatory fish ladder. The fish were no longer able to swim through the ladder (originally constructed in 1919). The objective of the project was therefore to construct a ladder with a new design to allow the fish to get past the power plant and to attract new fish species. The height of the steps was increased to a maximum incline of 6%, special patented partition walls made from steel were installed (to create the optimal current for the fish) and a chamber was built for fish traps (to count the fish). One of the special features of the new structure was a fish-lift installed on the German side of the power plant.